31 October 2011

Gardening

Today I finally planted some seeds in the garden box that my dad helped me build! I'm really excited to actually have a yard where I can grow something besides an IKEA bamboo plant (which I still have from 4 years ago). I'm even giving vegetables a shot. Hopefully it's not too ambitious! We'll see what happens....

You're looking at garlic, rosemary, broccoli, snow peas, lettuce, and carrots. I'm staggering the planting of the peas and carrots so I can harvest them at different times and give myself more time to eat everything. Ideally there will be too much for me and I can give some away.

The first seeds will start sprouting in 5-10 days (broccoli, snow peas, lettuce) so hopefully I'll be able to see some progress in about a week. Stay tuned!

Technical stuff: I bought the seeds at Central Market - they all say "packed for 2012" on them. The box is 3' x 5' and took about 12 bags of soil: Scotts premium garden soil (enriched with plant food).  I placed a divider to one side of the box to raise the soil level, giving the carrots and snow peas deeper soil than the rest of the plants without having to put a ton more soil in the entire box.